Monday, January 2, 2012

the beginning of the end

I arrived in Holland around 8:30 pm last night, after spending a few hours driving 35 mph on the interstate through a blizzard that started directly after I crossed the state line into Michigan.  Suffice it to say that lake effect snow and I are not friends.

Today, I started the withdrawal process.  I knew this was going to be hard, but it's even harder than I thought it would be.  The heavy sighs, wide eyes, and slightly shocked faces don't make it any easier.  I'm already emotionally exhausted, and I haven't notified my classmates or my teaching church yet. 

Tomorrow, I leave for a 5-day Spiritual Disciplines retreat.  Then begins the madness of packing, paperwork, and finishing up projects at the library.  I have probably a couple hundred books to process, both going into and leaving the library's collections.  I also have to figure out how this massive amount of stuff is going to fit into my car all at once.  All of it made it here, right? 

All of that said, I'm tired, emotionally and physically, of moving every three to five months.  Leaving behind people that I've grown to like and trying to readjust to a new place and new people used to be fun and exciting.  Now, I'm simply exhausted and I feel like a drifter--home has become wherever I'm sleeping that night.

In other news, yet another option has been added to the already long list of things I could do with my life:  my father, in all seriousness, suggested that I run for the Illinois General Assembly this November.  I would have to run as an independent, but considering the ridiculousness that is party politics right now, I would be OK with that.  I'm completely eligible, too--I checked. 

I'll post a "things I learned in 2011" list sometime soon.  I'll also update the photos section with the two sets of decent family photos that now exist!

Thanks to those who take the time to read this.  Always appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment