Sometimes it scares me how easily I adapt to new things. A month ago, I couldn't even fathom going to sleep before 10 pm. Six months ago, I had meetings that started at 10 pm. Now, though, getting up at 6:15 am is normal, and being awake at 10 pm means not-good things for the next morning. Waking up to the sun means one of two things: it's Sunday, or I'm late for class.
I feel like this is somewhere I've always been. It's quite an odd feeling, when I think about it.
Then, there are the mornings when I wake up and realize that I'm in seminary. For a split second, I freak out--and then I remember everything that brought me here. If I've gotten this far, God must have something for me here, right?
I've said this before, but I really do love my teaching church. It's a community church that is deeply committed to the neighborhood that it's in. It's not really a great one--there is a lot of unemployment, some gang activity, dilapidated homes, and homelessness. But this church makes a point of making everyone equals. Everyone contributes something to the church, whether it's financial resources, time and energy, or spiritual gifts. Last week, one of the consistory members (who was wearing jeans and a flannel shirt, by the way) stood to give the call to worship.
Each week, they do what's called a 'Family Feast', which is basically a community meal. It's free to any visitor, and a different church provides it and serves it each week. They have other churches do it so that there's no hierarchy within the community--no set group of people giving handouts to another.
The very first Sunday I walked in, they did something I have never seen another church do in my life. They had a footwashing service. That's right--they got on their hands and knees and washed one anothers' feet in a gesture of humility, equity, and love.
But I think the most simple reason I love it is the atmosphere, or the attitude: the pastor described it as "come as you are, sometimes to the point of annoyance." It reminds me a lot of Knox, where 'normal' is a setting on the dryer. It's multi-generational, multi-ethnic, and just a very loving, open community.
I'm about to head over there now, so hopefully none of this changes. But if God brought me here just to learn from this community, I would be OK with that.
(Someone remind me this week to post about the sermon series that Servant's is doing. It's pretty darn awesome!)
No comments:
Post a Comment