Towards the end of my time at Knox, I had the privilege of having lunch with Roger and Anne Taylor, as well as Professor Hulett and a wonderful Knox alumni. I had received the Rev. Pete Hosutt Scholarship, named in honor of a member of the class of '55 who spent several decades as an Army chaplain. After explaining that I was coming to seminary this fall, they proceeded to ask the question that every recent graduate hates: 'so what are you going to do with that?'
I explained that althought I have no certain plans, I'm looking for something in pastoral ministry, possibly as a parish pastor or a chaplain. Then, the next inevitable question came from Tony, a friend of Rev. Hosutt: 'Have you considered being an Army chaplain?'
To be honest, at that point I really hadn't. I'm not sure how I feel about military service. But then Roger piped up: "You should be a Navy chaplain! They have better uniforms anyway."
We laughed, and Anne explained that Roger spent some time in the Navy at some point. The conversation continued and drifted from my plans, but Roger's comment stuck with me for some silly reason. I researched it a bit, and found that it might actually be feasible. (Navy chaplains, unlike chaplains in other branches, are officially non-combatants and are not authorized to carry weapons or participate in combat. That was definitely a non-negotiable.) And I know for a fact that there are female chaplains throughout the Navy, somewhat allaying my fears of being a female pastor.
I keep coming back to this, and I can't really figure out why. Maybe it's my slightly unhealthy need to have some concrete plan or goal. Maybe it's something different. But I keep thinking about it.
What if this, of all things, is my calling? It's a slightly terrifying thought. But it's possible.
Do you have thoughts? I would love to hear them. Obviously, I still have two years of seminary left if I decide that this is really what God has called me to. I won't be running off to join the Navy anytime soon. But it's a thought, and one that just won't leave me alone...
So interesting that Roger Taylor, of all people, might be the one God uses to direct you, haha! But very interesting. I kind of looked into that a while back (not too seriously), but it did sound kind of interesting... I'll definitely be praying that God will confirm it with you, or let you know if He has other ideas...
ReplyDeleteAlso, hulu.com has a documentary called Carrier that you might be interested in, if you get a chance. It kind of offers a glimpse of what Navy life COULD be like. And I think there's one episode in particular where they focus a lot on faith and talk to a couple of chaplains... You may not want to take the time to watch the whole thing, but that episode might be worth it anyway...
But yes, I'll be praying!!!! <3
Thanks, Christina! Haha, I know. I never pictured Roger really figuring into my life direction all that much. But picturing the look on his face if I were to show up at Homecoming 5 years from now in a Navy officer's uniform is just a wonderful mental image! Hehe. It's something that I never expected, but then again, everything good in my life thus far has come out of nowhere!
ReplyDeleteI watched that documentary, too! (Well, that episode at least.) And it's an interesting series--I think I'll watch more over break. It will be at least 5 years before I could be a chaplain anyway, since 2 years of pastoral experience is required. But thanks for your prayers! LOVE!